New Mexico Personal Injury Laws to Know
Have you been injured in an accident in New Mexico, but you don’t know how to begin working on an injury claim? A good place to start is to look at the laws that will pertain to your case. The most important laws have been described for you below.
Who Can File an Injury Claim?
In New Mexico, all those who’ve been injured because of another person’s negligence are permitted to submit a claim against the person responsible. You will need to be able to prove the other person caused the accident.
Can You Still File a Claim if You Were Partially Responsible for the Accident?
New Mexico has a comparative fault law that allows you to go after another party for damages even if you were somewhat responsible for the accident. You can’t be more at fault than the other involved party, however. Also, your damages will be diminished by the amount of fault assigned to you.
For example, if you were 30 percent to blame for your accident, and the other party was 70 percent to blame, you can still file a claim against the other person. Your claim’s value will be reduced by 30 percent, because that’s how much fault you held.
How Long Do You Have to File Your Claim?
You have up to three years to file a personal injury claim in New Mexico. This law is known as the statute of limitations. If you don’t submit your claim within this time period, you won’t get another chance to hold a negligent party accountable for your injuries and damages.
What Types of Damages Can You Receive?
Accidents cause many issues for the victims, and you can receive a full settlement for the way this accident has affected your life.
For starters, you can receive payment of all your monetary losses. Monetary losses are the financial costs associated with your accident and injuries. For instance, medical bills, lost wages, treatment costs, and property damage are a few examples of monetary losses.
You can also receive damages known as non-monetary damages. These damages act as reimbursement for the negative experience you’ve been through and for other negative effects. For instance, mental trauma, pain and suffering, permanent injury, scarring, loss of ability to work, and lost life enjoyment are some examples of non-monetary damages.
Get in Touch with a New Mexico Personal Injury Lawyer
Following an injury accident, you are likely dealing with physical pain, stress, worry, and trauma related to your accident. Figuring out the personal injury claim process may be too much for you to deal with right now. The good news is that you don’t have to deal with this process all on your own.
Make the call to Will Ferguson & Associates to discuss the possibility of filing a claim and recovering the damages you’ve suffered. A free case evaluation is waiting for you when you reach out using the form below or calling 505-633-0750.