Medical Malpractice Lawyer Belen NM
Do you believe your medical injury was caused by negligence? You may be owed compensation if medical malpractice caused you harm. Get in touch with an Belen medical malpractice attorney at Will Ferguson & Associates.
You went to the doctor to get help for a medical issue—not to be further harmed. The fact that your doctor injured you likely has you upset and wanting answers. If your medical injury was caused by negligence, you may be able to file a medical malpractice claim to receive a settlement for the financial and other losses you’ve faced.
Filing medical malpractice claims can be more difficult than filing other types of personal injury lawsuits. The relevant laws are complicated, and these cases can be difficult to prove. Nevertheless, if you believe you’ve received subpar medical treatment that caused you to be injured, you deserve compensation for your injuries and losses.
Get in touch with an experienced Belen lawyer to start working on your case.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is when you’ve been injured because a doctor didn’t provide you with the well-established and expected standard of care. But who sets the standard of care?
Basically, the medical community decides what is reasonable for a particular illness or procedure, as well as what a reasonable mistake is. If a doctor has made mistakes that others in the medical community don’t believe were reasonable, you likely have a strong case for medical negligence.
Here are a few elements that can help you decide whether you have a viable medical malpractice claim:
- A doctor-patient relationship must have existed in order for you to have a medical malpractice case. In other words, you can’t claim a doctor injured you unless there is evidence that the doctor was, in fact, treating you.
- A medical error must have been made. Not just any error will do—the error must be great enough that others in the medical field would say it was unreasonable.
- The error must have actually caused you harm. Sometimes, medical professionals make mistakes, but they’re able to correct the error and you aren’t harmed. Sometimes, you may catch an error before being harmed—for instance, if a doctor provides you with a prescription you’re allergic to, but you don’t actually take the medicine because you look at the label. You can’t sue if you weren’t actually harmed.
- The injury you sustained caused you to suffer losses. Essentially, your injury must have actually affected your life in some way.
What Are Some Examples of ABQ Medical Malpractice Cases?
Pretty much any injury you suffer because of a healthcare provider’s negligence could lead you to file a malpractice claim. However, there are some fairly common medical injuries that most people know about.
For example, you’ve probably heard of patients that have had cancer, and their doctors never even diagnosed the cancer until late in the game.
Failure to diagnose and wrong diagnosis are two examples of possible medical malpractice. You could easily argue that your doctor caused your injury and that another doctor would have properly diagnosed you, at which point you could have sought early treatment and boosted your chances of survival and good health.
Here are a few more examples of potential ABQ medical negligence cases:
- Surgery errors or unnecessary surgery
- Prescription drug errors
- Discharging a patient too soon
- Failure to read patient’s medical chart or history
- Anesthesia errors
- Providing medical treatment while intoxicated
Damages in Your Belen Medical Injury Case
When you’ve been hurt because of medical negligence, you are likely to have incredible losses. You might have needed additional medical care to correct the error, and you’ve likely received expensive medical bills because of that. You probably missed time at work because you needed to recover from your injury.
You can be compensated for these losses and more. The following is a list of common damages your Belen medical negligence lawyer can seek on your behalf:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Missed work wages
- Mental trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent injury or disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
Meet with an Belen Malpractice Attorney Today
Like all other injury types, medical injuries can leave you with extensive losses, such as missed time at work, a need for more medical treatment, pain and suffering, and increased medical costs. You should not have to pay for these losses when a medical professional caused your injury through negligence.
If you believe you have a valid claim for medical malpractice, contact an Belen medical malpractice lawyer to discuss your case during a free consultation. You can reach Will Ferguson & Associates by completing the online contact form at the bottom of this page or calling us at 505-243-5566.