Popular Motorcycle Routes in New Mexico
Motorcycles allow riders to feel a sensation of freedom while taking in the scenic landscape of New Mexico. This freedom is crucial to the experience of riding a motorcycle, but bikers are also constantly aware of the dangers they face if they are involved in a crash -- particularly involving another motor vehicle.
There are certain popular roadways in the state favored by motorcyclists. However, some of these roadways are dangerous. We have compiled a list of popular New Mexico motorcycle routes and associated dangers.
New Mexico Motorcycle Roadways
- NM-244 and US-82. The route to Timberon, New Mexico, a 61-mile road with hilly terrain.
- The Trail of the Mountain Spirits Byway. Also known as Big Loop to the locals, is a 93-mile road starting on NM-152, turning into NM-35, and ending on NM-15.
- US-64. The road from Taos to Mora, New Mexico before transitioning to NM-434.
While popular, these roadways have their own associated dangers. NM-567 in Taos County is an 11.7-mile stretch, including sections of asphalt and gravel. This roadway can be extremely steep at times, with sharp turns and often narrow paths.
The New Mexico Department of Transportation listed 27 routes and roadways on its list of scenic New Mexico routes:
- Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway
- Trail of the Mountain Spirits
- Geronimo Trail
- Puye Cliffs Scenic Byway
- La Frontera del Llano
- Narrow Gauge Railway Scenic Byway
- Wild Rivers Back Country Byway
- El Camino Real
- Socorro Historical District Byway
- Quebradas Back Country Byway
- Santa Fe National Forest Scenic Byway
- Santa Fe Trail
- Historic Route 66
- Route 66 Pre-1937 Alignment
- Corrales Road Scenic Byway
- Turquoise Trail
- Billy the Kid Scenic Byway
- Trail of the Ancients
- Sunspot Scenic Byway
- Guadalupe Back Country Byway
- Mesalands Scenic Byway
- Salt Missions Trail
- Abo Pass Trail
- The High Road to Taos
- Jemez Mountain Trail
- Lake Valley Back Country Byway
- Tracks Across Borders
Popular roadways such as these prove to be popular destinations for motorcyclists, but the risk of being involved in an accident is very real, even on lesser-known local routes in the state of New Mexico.
Motorcycle Collisions in New Mexico
Motorcyclists face many risks when traveling the road. When bikers are involved in crashes with other motor vehicles, they are likely to be seriously injured in the process. Many of these accidents are caused by drivers who fail to notice motorcyclists on the road.
Motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to be killed in a vehicle collision. Each year, thousands of bikers are killed in similar collisions. In some cases, injured victims are able to recover lost compensation with the help of a New Mexico motorcycle crash lawyer.
The legal team at Will Ferguson & Associates is here to help you recover after a crash. We can help increase your chances of a successful case. Give us a call at (505) 243-5566 if you have been unfairly injured in a motorcycle collision.
Tags: biker crash injury in Albuquerque NM, car accident vehicle collision in ABQ New Mexico, Popular Motorcycle Routes in New Mexico, wrongful death settlement lawsuit compensation claim in New Mexico